Welcome by Co-Presidents, Shannon Yates and Kari Pike
2011-2012 School Year Update
- Field Trip forms Mr. Satterfield has received many phone calls from concerned parents about the new “Certificate of Liability” forms that have been coming home with permission slips. These forms are a new requirement for ALL field trips, including those in which the children walk. They must be signed and dated for each field trip. This form led parents to ask the question about availability of seat belts on town buses. He wishes to assure parents that ALL Marblehead buses have seat belts. The MHD schools try to use town buses for most field trips, but sometimes use North Shore Shuttle, which also provides buses equipped with seat belts.
- “Trouble-Free Playground” program is coming to our schools on Oct. 5-6. The goal of this program is to give the children the tools for using play time effectively, cut down on bullying and conflicts, and help them build character and respect. The program representative will spend a day at each school working with the teachers, classroom aids, lunch aids, counselors and Principal Satterfield. The program is run by teacher and author, Curt Hinson, PhD.
- Coffin Gerry PRIDE program seeks to create a sense of community for the children. Some Pride activities include picnics, Community Meetings and Passport Day. On Passport Day, the children are guided through the school. They have discussions about the rules and procedures and expected behavior and responsibilities for each area of the school. Once the children visit an area, their Passport Book is “stamped.” The Coffin School students did this last week, and the Gerry School students will be doing it soon.
- New dismissal procedure at Gerry School: both Kindergarten and First Grade teachers will dismiss children onto the playground.
- New voicemail system at Coffin School allows you to leave messages for Mr. Satterfield, Mrs. Mills, Mrs. Crosby and Ms. Eaton. Press “0” to skip the initial message. The Gerry School will be getting this system in the near future.
Introduction of PTO Executive Board Members:
Co-Presidents: Kari Pike and Shannon Yates
Co-Treasurers: Gael Saulnier and Julie Peach
Co-Secretaries: Lisa Hoguet and Amy Annese
Community Outreach: Jen Tips and Holly Crosby
Kari asked everyone present at the meeting to take 5 minutes to respond to 4 question/comment boards: When I think of the PTO, the first thing I think of is…, What is your favorite PTO event?, What questions do you have about PTO at Coffin-Gerry?, and This year the PTO should…
- Innisbrook Gift Wrap and Helen Grace Chocolate Sale: This very profitable fund-raiser goes through 10/3. Please use the packets and sell! Please contact co-chairs Gael Saulnier and Christine Locke with any questions.
- Monster Mash is scheduled for Friday, October 28, from 5-7 P.M. For those of you who are new to the Coffin-Gerry Community, this is a DON’T MISS event!! It is a Halloween themed party and is open to Coffin-Gerry families. There will be games, food, crafts and a Haunted House. More details to come, and volunteers (LOTS of them!) are needed for the day and night of the event. Contact Kelly Calnan to offer your help. Keep your eyes open for sign-ups to volunteer time and/or items needed for the Mash.
- Holiday Shop is a wonderful event that allows the children to experience the gift of giving. A “store” of donated items (gently used or newly purchased), is set up in the Coffin School. Each child brings in $1 per family member and “shops” for them. Gift wrapping will also be available. The children are very proud of these hand-picked gifts! Volunteers will be needed for craft nights (date TBD), and for the day of the event. Donations of gently used or newly purchased items and wrapping supplies are needed. Men’s items are typically the most needed. Stay tuned for more information about the Holiday Shop and set aside some items you might like to donate! Contact co-chairs Lisa Wales and Hadley MacLean if you would like to help out.
- Original Art Works We will be repeating this fundraiser from last year for which the children make a piece of artwork that can be turned into keepsakes (framed, key chains, calendars, etc). Starting in mid-October, the art teachers will work with the students to create their masterpieces. Last year’s theme was “self portrait.” This year, the children will work on a “family photo.” These items make for great holiday gifts for Grandparents and other relatives. Stay tuned for more information.
- 2010-2011 Yearbooks. There are about 75 surplus yearbooks from the 2010-11 school year. They will be sold at a reduced rate of $15 each. This can generate a lot of money for the PTO and is a great way to preserve your child’s memories of the year. Yearbooks will be sold at each school in the upcoming weeks. Sale dates TBD.
- PTO Fund balance as of 8/31/11 (with Magic Hat allocation): $31,767.58
- Expenses: $13,000. Expenses include:
Enrichment 2011–12: $9.000.00
Speaker Series 2011–12: $1,000.00
Teacher Allocations 2011–12: $3,000.00**see below
- Total PTO funds: $18,557.95
Voting on Teacher Allocations: Those present voted unanimously to allocate a total of $3,000.00 to teachers for their classrooms. Each teacher gets $100 (including specials).
The PTO has decided to change the way communications go out to the CGS Community. The E-News notification system will be eliminated, and the old website has been replaced with a new blog format. It has pages about upcoming events, Magic Hat, and fundraising. Please make www.coffingerry.com your go-to site for information about our PTO and school; it has links to the Coffin-Gerry PTO Facebook page, the district calendar, lunch menus, and sign-up lists for various events. On the site, you can sign up with your email address (“follow by email”) to get PTO and school updates. So, spread the word and follow the Coffin-Gerry PTO Blog and Facebook page today!
Money from the Magic Hat Thrift Shop funds the Enrichment Programs for our children. We can get $6,000/year from this effort!! This is an easy way to get money with the help of parent volunteers. We are assigned weeks, during which we MUST fulfill the hours. Any additional time CGS parents spend volunteering at The Hat is credited to our schools. The PTO is open to suggestions about how we can make it as easy as possible for parents to help out. Some ideas are to assign a day to each grade during required weeks and using room parents to spread the word and hold parents accountable. The link to the Magic Hat can be found on the PTO website and/or the Coffin-Gerry PTO Facebook Page. Contact Cindy Schieffer or Lisa Hoguet with questions.
Goals for 2011-2012
A survey will be going out soon to parents and teachers of the CGS Community. The purpose of the survey will be to determine what people feel are priorities for spending, what is important, what’s working, what we can improve upon, etc. When this survey comes out, PLEASE TAKE THE TIME TO RESPOND. It will help us move forward in a positive direction and in a way that will meet the needs of our school community.
Our next PTO Meeting will be held Tuesday, November 15, 2011, at 7:30 PM at the Boston Yacht Club. Dr Gregory Maass, Superintendent, will be there. Join us in welcoming him to our town and hear about his plans for the future of the Marblehead Public Schools. We will also discuss plans for the Annual Campaign.